I posted this blog last year and felt it was still relevant as a reminder to myself and hopefully to you.
The start of a new year is an ideal time to reflect. The benefits of a regular reflection practice are numerous and yet many do not take the time to pause and practice.
Why reflect? What would I reflect on? What is the purpose of it?
These are some of the questions my clients ask me. They are hesitant to spend time in reflection and I am curious about their hesitation. A coaching program will support you in developing a regular practice and assist you in identifying areas of your life that you want to focus on or perhaps behaviours that you need to strengthen. Whatever your goals/dreams are for 2017 here are some tips to support you in your practice:
- set aside time to do it
- buy a new journal for recording your thoughts/ideas/contemplations
- use questions to guide you
- review your reflections on a regular basis to assess what action you need to take.
Here are some examples of questions to get you started:
- What did I do in 2016 that I want to do again?
- What did I do in 2016 that I don’t want to do again in 2017?
- What do I want to learn to do in 2017?
- How do I want to be in 2017 with (insert name etc. here)?
- What new experiences do I want to have in 2017?
My own reflection back on 2016 reveals that possibilities are everywhere and I need to continue to pay attention and be present to the moment I am in – as the possibility may happen in a blink of an eye and if I am distracted I may miss it. While some of the possibilities did not develop into immediate business opportunities, I continue to develop and nurture relationships that support me in building my vision for Red Bug, myself and my family.
I invite you to spend time reflecting in 2017 and I look forward to hearing about your experience!