Golf season is in full swing and every year Ontario’s chiropractors treat countless golfers for injuries sustained on the golf course. Common injuries include low back, shoulder and neck pain, muscle strains and tendonitis.
These injuries not only hinder players on the golf course, but can also limit mobility and quality of life. Some injuries can become chronic if they are not properly treated. The great news is that most golfing-related injuries can be easily prevented and Ontario’s chiropractors play a key role in keeping golfers active and playing safe.
The Ontario Chiropractic Association’s Get in the Game Without the Pain program was designed to provide simple, practical information and tips any golfer can use:
- Get the right fit: Consult a pro to ensure your clubs are the right height, are made of a material appropriate to your arm strength, and have a comfortable grip.
- Take lessons: Work with a CPGA professional — the right swing technique can improve your game, and spare you unnecessary pain.
- Warm up and cool down: Take a few minutes to stretch before and after your game. Start with a brisk walk and then do some light stretching. Never bounce, strain or jerk while stretching.
- Push, don’t carry, your golf bag: Pushing or pulling a bag on its wheels can help you take a load off. Taking turns riding in a cart can help you prevent a back injury. If you prefer to carry your clubs, use a double-strap carry bag that evenly distributes the weight.
- Choose the right shoes: Wearing golf shoes with good support and the proper fit can help to prevent some knee, hip and lower back pain.
- Drink lots of water: Dehydration can cause fatigue and increase your risk of injury. Water and juice are ideal refreshments as drinking alcohol depletes the body’s fluids and can lead to stiff muscles and soreness.
If you experience back pain that lasts more than a day after golfing, call your chiropractor for an evaluation or visit www.bywardchiropractic.com to book your appointment.
Dr. Sasha Hamid is a Chiropractor at the ByWard Chiropractic Clinic and Massage Therapy Centre; a team of health care professionals providing evidence informed care in a collaborative model in order to create an exceptional patient experience. Dr. Hamid has been a proud member of the WBN since 2009 and is the current Chair of the Membership Committee. She was voted 2012 National Capital Fit Day People’s Choice for Best Chiropractor. Dr. Hamid is an advocate for healthy and active living and frequently lectures within Ottawa on a variety of wellness based strategies.