We are excited to be entering our second year of the WBN Mentorship Program, where emerging and mid-level entrepreneurs/ corporate professionals who are seeking skills development and personal/professional growth will be paired with an experienced local mentor who is an established entrepreneur or senior-level corporate professional (as applicable).
There are numerous benefits of the Mentorship Program, as evidenced by feedback from 2019-20 program participants:
- “I gained a better understanding of my strengths and weaknesses.”
- “I was able to push my boundaries and increase my confidence by meeting new people and making new connections.”
- “I gained valuable knowledge on how to approach difficult situations in the workplace.”
- “I expanded my understanding of navigating the business environment.”
- “I gained valuable insight into how different professionals are navigating their careers.”
- “I developed a life-long friend. My mentor and I talk about more than just our businesses, and although we focused on my business and my goals, we also talked about our personal lives, and her business too.”
- “The most valuable part for me was simply having someone in my corner. As an entrepreneur, a unique challenge I face is that I work alone and don’t have a trusted colleague with whom I can talk things through. My mentor has become that person for me.”
The WBN Mentorship Program will take place over 7 months, from October 2020 through April 2021, consisting of the dates below. Virtual events will take place over lunchtime. In person events, if any, will take place in the late afternoon.
- Initial meet-and-greet and Workshop 1: October 1
- Monthly mentor-mentee meetings from October through March
- Monthly roundtable sessions to discuss monthly topics as a group
- Workshop 2: November 26
- Workshop 3: January 14
- Workshop 4: March 4
- Commencement Celebration: May 6
For the workshops, established speakers will share their knowledge of topics geared toward providing professional development and facilitating mentor-mentee discussions. Monthly topics will be provided as a basis for discussions, along with pre-reading and other resources (eg. TED Talks). Workshops and monthly meetings will be held virtually as required.
The program will cover potential topics such as:
- Career and business strategy
- Tips for giving and receiving feedback
- Leadership/team work
- Professional challenges
- Work/life balance – challenges and tips
Eligibility/How To Apply:
Mentees: We’re seeking enthusiastic entrepreneurs and corporate professionals who are still developing their businesses/careers and are eager to learn from the guidance of a mentor. Mentee participation is limited to current members of the WBN. Please provide a resume and a brief outline of what you would like to accomplish as a mentee. Mentees who have been previously involved in the program are welcomed to apply again, although priority may be given to new participants.
Mentors: We’re looking for seasoned entrepreneurs and corporate professionals who can bring value to members seeking guidance in their personal and professional lives. Mentors will equally benefit from the program through professional development refreshers, exposure to fresh perspectives, and the satisfaction that comes with helping another in their career. Please submit a resume, along with a brief outline explaining your experience in mentoring others, and the skills you can bring in helping your mentee. Mentors who have been previously involved in the program are welcomed and encouraged to participate again, and do not need to provide any new documentation.
Applications should be submitted by August 31, 2020 to the Mentorship Committee at the following email address: WBNmentorshipprogram@gmail.com.
Applicants will be notified pairings by September 2020, prior to the first meet-and-greet.